Wednesday, March 21, 2012

100


I remember the movie, 100, of Mylene Dizon and Eugene Domingo. Mylene is stricken with cancer and have only three months to live. She decided to do 100 things before she dies. 100 food to eat, 100 places to go and 100 personal things to do. This is a movie that inspires us to go out more, live a life you really want and to love all that is in you. What struck me most is how Mylene prepared for her funeral. Some of us are unable to categorically say how we want our funeral would be. I have gone to one with karaoke where the visitors can sing all the songs they want. Yup, even disco and rock. I have seen also the one with live band and even stand-up comedians.

When I was in high school, father and I walked past a funeral wake on my way to school. We were both sad by the scene where the dead was being used by others to gamble in the open. So I said that when I die I want my wake to be three days only. No more, no less. And, with a purple coffin. That freaked out my father. Telling me not to talk about those things. And, that was enough to make me laugh.

Not that I have a death wish but, I think we should have a say on our wake. Mylene, prepared everything. From the songs, to the dress she'd wear and even to the AVP that is going to be played at the last night of the wake. I forgot if she also mentioned who are going to give the eulogy.

Now, I want that. Aside from buying a Life Plan, I have actually started compiling the songs that are going to be played for three days. During the night, I want it to be thematic. Each night will have a theme, one night would be rock ballad with a little bit of alternative music, second has to be ballad and love songs, the third, the final night has to be rhythm and blues! No AVP whatsoever! Just pure music. Or, maybe I could rent a jukebox? That would be cool! For the food, the first two nights should be just ordinary food but for the last night, all my favorites! Italian dishes, rice cakes, dark choc fondue and others. For what I am going to wear? I have to decide yet. I am torn between a Greek inspired and ala Jackie O outfits. 

Is this post already giving you the creeps? Well, I still have one last item on the list. No eulogy. If ever it is just going to be my husband. I feel like eulogy is a waste of time because you're honoring someone who is unfortunately will not be able to hear and appreciate it. This is just for me and I am nothing against those who do this. I know that eulogy is important because it affirms and honors the goodness of the person. But, for me, I would rather hear it now, while I am alive and still able to comprehend.

Morbid? I think not. Death is certain and we would all come to meet him sooner or later. We can just hope and pray that it will be peaceful and with dignity. But, we can prepare for it. More than what we want our wake or funeral to be, we need to do things that would leave good and happy feelings or thoughts to the people to remember us by. A legacy. An inspiration. Most of all LOVE. So that when we come face to face with him we can be ready without fear. And as we meet our Creator, we can have a wonderful gift for Him, a life well lived.

7 comments:

  1. who knows in reality what happens after death
    i am sure we came from nature and will go into the nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree, no one really knows. it can be a matter of faith. =)

      Delete
  2. A family friend's dad did that too. I mean prepare for his funeral when he found out he had cancer and was given a date of departure (if you know what I mean.) During the time he had left, he arranged everything including what he wanted for his funueral and his inheritance to his children. He even made sure that the kid of their subdivision's guard, who was was sponsporing already for school, would be able to finish college even after his death. Very noble. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very noble indeed! i think knowing when you're going to die is both a blessing and a curse. A curse because the agony of going through the process of death but at the same time a blessing because you can prepare for it and do the things some of us take for granted. You can close issues that have been going on for so long. =)

      Delete
  3. beautiful shots macro and the i like the angle.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment. it was kind of you to drop by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...