Friday, March 30, 2012

My Attempt To Cook: Korean Spicy Stew

It was never my intention to create a themed dinner once every week. I started it with Italian the other week, last week was Thai and last night was Korean. I just hope I would be able to commit to this ritual. Anyway, we have several famous culinary specialties from different countries. 

Last night, I was so giddy preparing the meal because I love almost everything Korean. The drama series, the city, food and fashion, of course. Although, Korean dish is mainly hot and with a lot of different bean or chilli pastes I still love them. What more, cooking them on my own which I can adjust the intensity of the chilli flavor.

Korean Spicy Stew Recipe:
This is a good comfort food especially when you are sick. The chilli would make you sweat, the chewy mushroom as your vegetable and the clam or any seafood as your source of protein. This is best cooked in an earthen bowl to keep the stew hot longer.

Ingredients
3-4 cups cold water
10g of seaweed flakes
4 shiitake mushroom, if dried mushroom soak in cold water for 3 hours to soften
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium white onion, cut into four
8 dried anchovies, heads removed
2 tbs cooking oil
2 tbs red pepper paste or gochujang
100g or more clams with shell or mixed with shrimps
soft tofu, squared
3 spring onions,slivered
1 red chilli, adjust according to preference
salt to taste
1 egg

Procedure
1. In a deep wok, mix water, seaweed flakes, mushroom, garlic, onion and anchovies. Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes. This is now the jjigae stock.
2. In a bowl or separate deep saucepan, heat the cooking oil and add the red pepper paste. Once sizzling, pour the stock into it and let it boil for few 5 minutes.
3. Add the clams or seafood and bring to boil again.
4. Add the tofu, spring onions, chilli and stir.
5. Bring to boil and add egg. Stir just right with egg still a bit whole.
6. Add salt when necessary.

Serve piping hot and Enjoy!!!

I will be blogging the other food, Green Onion Pancake, in another post.


3 comments:

  1. Sarap naman! I love anything spicy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sea foods and I love spicy foods too, I'll try this recipe one time, if I could find seaweed flakes in the grocery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you can find korean or japanese store they're available there and the chilli pastes

      Delete

thank you for your comment. it was kind of you to drop by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...