Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Attempt to Cook: Singaporean Chili Crab

I had almost depressing moments the past few days so, as with some of us, I vented out that moment to food. I was thinking of the usual streamed crab but I challenged myself to cooking something complicated. I guess when you are down there's something inside you that wants to get up to have that feeling that even if you're not good at this one then go be better at the other. In my case, I guess, this is the other.

Anyway, I am going to provide you here on how to cook the Chili Crab which is a famous dish in Singapore. There are many restaurants and hawkers offering Chili Crab and, though I haven't been in these heavenly places, Jumbo Seafood Restaurant and No Sign Board Seafood Restaurant are the two of the most famous places to try it out. But, after cooking them myself I can say that no need to go to those expensive diners. A happy eating-husband is an accomplished cooking-wife. Haha!


Ingredients:
4 to 5 pcs medium crabs
5 tbs ketchup, better to mix tomato and banana ketchup for that sweet sour taste
1 cup water
3/4 tsp soy sauce
2 tbs cornstarch
salt to taste
5 tbs vegetable oil, i used 3 tbs canola butter with olive oil for lower saturated fat
7 cloves garlic crushed
2 tbs chopped shallots or onion springs
chili peppers or black pepper corn, adjust to your preference
3/4 tsp lemon juice
1 beaten egg

Directions
1. Wash crabs and separate the claws and shell from the body. Cut into two or four if the crab is big.
2. In a large bowl, mix together ketchup, water, cornstarch, soy sauce, salt and black pepper.
3. Heat skillet and the oil or butter, stir in garlic and shallots. Add the chili peppers once the garlic turns golden brown. After 2 minutes, add the crabs and fry until red. 
4. Stir sauce mixture into the skillet until the crabs are well coated. Cover the skillet and simmer for about 7 to 10 minutes or until the shells are bright red.
5. Next, pour the lime juice all over the crab. Put the beaten egg, quickly mixing it with the crabs until cooked.


Crabs are good sources of selenium, an anti-oxidant, zinc and omega-3, as with other seafood, vit B12, niacin, phosphorus and copper. But, be careful of eating too much of it specially if you don't know the source as it may contain mercury and PCB. Prefer the locally grown crabs to ensure you'd get the benefits more than the contaminants. Happy eating!

3 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy! I love eating crabs, though we always cook them with just water and wine. I did try chili crabs both locally and the ones and Singapore.. Price is quite steep, so I agree that cooking them yourself is better! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. tama, sis, super mahal! it's like you want to faint once you see the bill! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for your comment. it was kind of you to drop by.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...